[lit-ideas] Re: (No Date: Mon, 6 Feb 2006 23:50:18 -0500

  • From: dsavory@xxxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 7 Feb 2006 11:50:36 -0800

> As I recall it, Professor D'Amato was persuaded to leave the list
> after many complex negotiations after he threatened to sue quite a
> few `someone elses' who were among those governing Phil-Lit.

As someone whose job it was to simultaneously chide the bottom feeders and
pacify the mollies let me say that mine was the correct response to Tony
D'Amato: a silent giggle followed by an invisible rolling of the eyes. A shrug
imbued with rue can work wonders too.

As long as there are thin-skinned bullies with the ability to be personally
offended by broad social trends (as noted pedagogue Seymour Skinner once
noted) there will be a need for eye rolling and shrugs. Start doing your
stretching now.

David Savory