[lit-ideas] Re: No Country For Old Men

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 22 Oct 2010 13:38:10 -0700

 Lawrence says, of Mike Geary

"He does not value patriotism, heroism, Western Civilization, or Nationhood."

Frederic Henry is reported to have said

'I did not say anything. I was always embarrassed by the words sacred, glorious, and sacrifice and the expression in vain. We had heard them, sometimes standing in the rain almost out of earshot, so that only the shouted words came through, and had read them, on proclamations that were slapped up by billposters over other proclamations, now for a long time, and I had seen nothing sacred, and the things that were glorious had no glory and the sacrifices were like the stockyards at Chicago if nothing was done with the meat except to bury it. There were many words that you could not stand to hear and finally only the names of places had dignity. Certain numbers were the same way and certain dates and these with the names of the places were all you could say and have them mean anything.'

Of course, he said this during WW I, before he had all of our advantages.

Robert Paul,
wandering in philosophy, where talk is cheap.