[lit-ideas] Nicolas of Cusa's "Coincidentia Oppositorum"

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 7 Aug 2004 22:43:07 EDT

"The demonstrable   correlation of opposites
is an image of the  transcendental correlation
         of  contradictories."
                   S. Weil, Le Pensateur et la Grace,
                    tr. A. Wills.

E. Holder writes:

>It's cute, this square [of opposition].

M. Chase comments:

>It is kind of cute, but like Robert Paul I doubt
>it has anything to do with Weil. Far from drawing
>a distinction between "opposites" and "contradictories",
>Aristotle (Categories 10, 11b15 ff.)  considers
>contraries  or contradictories to be one of four
>sub-classes of the class "opposites", the others
>being relatives, privation vs. possession, and
>affirmation and negation. Again like R. Paul, I think
>Weil is  just using terminology loosely to
>allude to Nicolas of Cusa's
>idea of the *coincidentia oppositorum*.

Wonder what book by Cusa Weil could have read.

Cusa was a favourite author with J.L. Borges -- Cusa's definition of God as
the circle whose center is nowhere and the circumsference is everywhere.

Doesn't the 'coincidentia oppositorum' trace back to Pythagoras and the
other Pre-socratics?

Cheers,

JL