[lit-ideas] Re: New Iranian Fatwa: Religious Law Does Not Forbid Use of N...

  • From: John McCreery <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 14:36:22 +0900

On 2/17/06, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx <JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx> wrote:

> <<As someone who learned to bend over and kiss my ass goodbye in civil
> defense drills in elementary school in the 1950s, read _A Canticle for
> Leibowitz_  as a teenager, and held my breath through the Cuban Missle
> Crisis,>>
>

> And here I thought I was the only one with that particular combination of
> experiences ....but I did, somewhat masochistically, enlarge my reading of
> apocalyptic literature -- Red Dawn, lots of Arthur Clarke, Alas Babylon,
> etc.  Of course being raised in an Evangelical environment where the
> Preachers could tell you to the minute when all life was going to end,
> courtesy of numeric derivations from the book of Revelation, did make it a
> bit more interesting.....

Julie,

How delightful of you to bring back so many memories. I, too, read a
lot more post-apocalypse and dystopian SF. One of my great delights is
re-reading some of this stuff and offering thanks to whatever gods
there be that most of it hasn't come true in my lifetime.

John

John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.
55-13-202 Miyagaya, Nishi-ku