[lit-ideas] Re: New Iranian Fatwa: Religious Law Does Not Forbid Use of N...

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 16 Feb 2006 19:55:29 EST

<<As  someone who learned to bend over and kiss my ass goodbye in civil
defense  drills in elementary school in the 1950s, read _A Canticle  for
Leibowitz_  as a teenager, and held my breath through the Cuban  Missle
Crisis,>>
And here I thought I was the only one  with that particular combination of
experiences ....but I did, somewhat  masochistically, enlarge my reading of
apocalyptic literature -- Red Dawn, lots  of Arthur Clarke, Alas Babylon, etc.
Of
course being raised in an  Evangelical environment where the Preachers could
tell you to the minute when  all life was going to end, courtesy of numeric
derivations from the book of  Revelation, did make it a bit more
interesting.....
Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: New Iranian
Fatwa: Religious Law Does Not Forbid  Use of Nuclear Weapons  Date: 2/16/06
6:47:50
P.M. Central Standard Time  From: _john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxxx
(mailto:john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
On 2/17/06, Eric Yost  <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> That's truly a tragic  situation. I do my best to
> hide my feelings on the matter with jokes  and
> military blather, but it is truly tragic. So many
> superb  people at the mercy of technological destiny.

As someone  who learned to bend over and kiss my ass goodbye in civil
defense drills in  elementary school in the 1950s, read _A Canticle for
Leibowitz_  as a  teenager, and held my breath through the Cuban Missle
Crisis, I have to take  that "at the mercy of technological destiny"
with a large grain of  salt.

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd.