[lit-ideas] Re: Negative Polarity

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 11 Aug 2004 22:09:13 -0700

Le 11 ao=FBt 04, =E0 06:55, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx a =E9crit :

> I don't think it knocked Aristotle's socks ['sandals', corrects =
Geary],
> since he (Aristotle) wrote, "De generatione et corruptione", refuting=20=

> Plato's  idea
>  of the soul as immortal.

M.C. Again, this must be true only of the Argentine edition of De Gen.=20=

et corr. Not only was the version I'm familiar with *not* written to=20
"refute Plato's doctrine of the soul as immortal", but as far as I=20
know, Plato's doctrine of the soul is not even mentioned in the work,=20
nor does the word "immortal" or "immortality" (*athanatos*/*athanasia*)=20=

ever occur in it.

        Aristotle's conception of the immortality or otherwise of the =
soul is=20
far from clear, but the work it's discussed in is the De anima, not the=20=

De gen. et corr.

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)
CNRS UPR 76