[lit-ideas] Re: Napoleon was normal (Was: Judy Evans' 'ecole normal'

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 14 Oct 2007 16:52:38 +0100

>I knew Judy would like the idea of a French school being 'normal'.

:)  interesting the 'normal schools' here were named after the French ones.

>Note that an OED quote for 'public school boy' (why not 'girl'

'public schoolgirl' is used -- but when I Googled for a suitable url, I found
some
porny-looking sites!  I assume

> 'public school boy': Lyceen, gymnast

doesn't make sense, does it?  'grammar school boy' would.

>I don't see what he had to do with the South Kensington Normal School of
>Design,

if that's the one that became part of Imperial College, it was named after the
Ecole Normale Superieure

Judy