[lit-ideas] Re: "Must We Mean What We Say?"

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 31 Oct 2007 17:24:22 -0230

Donal's remarks below highlight an interesting philosophical theme: to what
extent are logic and conceptual coherence relevant to moral deliberation and
assessment? Who is the person of "practical wisdom" anyway? Must she be a
paragon of morality and logical coherence simultaneously? That ideal entails
that the idea of a moral person who cannot reason soundly to conclusions is an
oxymoron. And is that the truly relevant moral ideal? Could one be morally
virtuous without knowing anything about what makes an argument valid and sound?
Could I be innocent of norms of logical validity and still legitimately claim
to offer justifiable opinions on moral matters?

At first glance, any such connection seems forced and highly dubious. Errors in
logic are surely not in themselves moral failings. However, Kantians believe
that morality and moral virtue are internally connected to capacities for
rationality and autonomy. That is to say: acts of immorality have their source
primarily not in viciousness of character but rather in an ignorance of what
universal canons of rationality require. As Kant, Habermas and Tom Scanlon
(amongst others) have it, immorality is rooted in not understanding the nature
and significance of a justifiable reason for belief, judgment or action. Vice
has its origins not in limitations of character, lack of control over one's
natural impulses (Aristotle's "weakness of will"), but rather in the inability
to reason properly from premises to conclusions.

Walter Okshevsky
MUN