[lit-ideas] Re: Movie Night

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 16:55:16 -0700

Andreas wrote:

Tennessee William's Streetcar Named Desire is the same sort of story. Read it as a gay story and it makes more sense. Blanche Du Bois and the delivery boys.

I tried for a few minutes to think of Streetcar as a 'gay story,' but
gave up. Blanche had been married to a younger man, who committed suicide; It's clear that he was gay, and I think we're supposed to infer that that was why he killed himself. I'd have to look it up. I think we're also meant to infer that Blanche was, or feels she was, responsible for his death. I'd have to look that up too.

There's only one 'delivery boy,' the boy who comes to collect for the newspaper, the Evening Star. When the boy tells Blanche who he is, she says something like, 'I didn't know the stars took up collections.' She flirts with him briefly, but that's it. Blanche has a thing for young men, but not only for younger men. So far, no gay story I can see.

Robert Paul
Reed College