[lit-ideas] Re: Movie Night

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 20 Aug 2005 23:29:04 +0100 (BST)

--- Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx> wrote:

> [...]

This is a sentence too far. No it didn't and American Beauty wasn't noir in
such a "similar" way. (The Maltese Falcon was at least one noir before, and
Citizen Kane, Chinatown and The Godfather are surely more noirish than
American Beauty which is more bourgeois disenchantment a la Desperate
Housewives, Six Feet Under, Nip Tuck, etc. than noir. Hell, Miami Vice is
more noir even if in garish 80's garb).

Robert Paul should not be afraid: Sunset Boulevard holds up very well,
particularly because Wilder's playful vein of cynicism chimes with the
so-called 'anti-hero' development, the modern playful vein of cynicism
generally, and the idea that movies, particularly the Hollywood kind, are an
essentially delusional form of representation.

>I recommend
> Man with the Golden Arm, with Frank Sinatra, also from the 50's.

I recommend 'Songs For Swingin'Lovers', also with Frank Sinatra, also from
the 50s. But enough of my logic-chopping.

Donal
Plymouth