[lit-ideas] Re: Military Studies in the Jihad Against the Tyrants

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 15 Jan 2007 16:44:11 EST

Okay, you're big on formal logic.  So explain this to me:  how  does my
belief that Reality doesn't always fit into Aristotelian parameters  indicate
or
imply that my world-view is jihadist or aligned with Al  Quaeda? I imagine some
members of Al AQaeda brush their teeth also.

Julie Krueger
(one-legged stools are difficult to make sturdy)

========Original Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Military Studies in
the Jihad Against the  Tyrants  Date: 1/15/2007 2:55:46 P.M. Central Standard
Time  From: _lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx)
To:
_Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:Lit-Ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:

Several here on Lit-Ideas have  expressed their disdain for logic,
Aristotelian thinking, reasoning, etc.   They may be interested in finding that
their
views are shared by some notable  others.  On page 302 of The Looming  Tower,
Lawrence Wright writes, about Al Qaeda trainees being prepared  for the 9/11
plot:  “Their text was a 180-page manual, Military Studies in the Jihad
Against
the  Tyrants, which included chapters on counterfeiting, weapons training,
security, and espionage.  ‘The confrontation that we are calling for with
the
apostate regimes does not know Socratic debates . . . Platonic ideals . . .
nor
Aristotelian diplomacy,’ the manual begins.  ‘But it does know the
dialogue
of bullets, the ideals of assassination, bombing and destruction, and  the
diplomacy of the canon and machine gun.’”
Of course they were not initially  told what they would be assigned to do,
but in general, “The targets were always  Americans, either U.S., soldiers or
vehicles, but there  were other, ‘enemies of Islam,’ according to the
handwritten notes of a student  in an al-Qaeda ideology class.
    1.  Heretics (the  Mubaraks of the world)
    2.  Shiites
    3.  America
    4.  Israel”
Their goals were  (are)
    1.  Establishing the rule  of God on Earth
    2.  Attaining martyrdom  in the cause of God.
    3.  Purification of the  ranks of Islam from the elements of depravity.
Lawrence