[lit-ideas] Mideast: Ripples of War

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Bonnie Spiegel" <Bonnie121W@xxxxxxxxxxx>, "David Cowen" <Davidcowen@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>, "Margaret Spiegel" <MSpiegel@xxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jul 2006 23:48:09 -0400

Christopher Dickey and Rod Nordland's article in this week's Newsweek is a
frightening assessment of what's happening in the Middle East. Frightening for
Israel especially. I usually sleep like a log. Now I'm not sleeping very well.
- S.S.

Take a look at this:

"No one denies that Hizbullah started the fight, with its unprovoked incursion
into Israel, and no one doubts that Israel can win it, at least in conventional
terms. But that's not what matters as much as public perceptions, and the
impact those perceptions have from Tehran to Cairo. The conflagrations in Gaza,
Lebanon and Iraq risk converging, if not on the ground, then in that virtual
reality-on satellite television and the Web-where Al Qaeda and Hizbullah find
recruits for their global networks. Israel can bomb Lebanon's infrastructure
all it wants, but Hizbullah, which operates beyond the limits of a state,
ultimately has no infrastructure. Hizbullah's own rockets and missiles can miss
nearly all their targets, with comparatively little loss of life, but so long
as they keep firing, they shatter the myth of Israeli invincibility and win
friends and admirers in a radicalized Muslim world. "The Zionist enemy has not
been able to reach a military victory," said Hizbullah leader Hassan Nasrallah
in a speech Friday on his organization's Al-Manar TV, still broadcasting
despite Israeli Air Force strikes that obliterated its studios and transmission
towers. "I'm not saying that. They said that. The whole world is saying that."

To continue, click below:

Shortcut to: http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/14100895/site/newsweek/

Note: To protect against computer viruses, e-mail programs may prevent sending
or receiving certain types of file attachments.  Check your e-mail security
settings to determine how attachments are handled.