[lit-ideas] Re: Michigan

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 31 Jul 2005 17:25:25 -0400

Paul:
"I STILL LIVE near Windsor and have for the past 35 years. As my natural
gas
bill attests to, we STILL sometimes have cold winters and just this past
February, it WAS below zero, Lake Erie was frozen for weeks as far as the
eye could see, but I certainly would NOT walk across the Detroit River,
even without an Ice Breaker having been through. Maybe back in the day,
people were just more daring and less dependent on bridges and tunnels --
since, like they didn't exist."

I did not say I would walk across the frozen Detroit River.  As I remember,
I said it could and was done. It would be a very cold experience indeed, as
it's always windy and when the river is frozen, very cold.  See the next
three e-mails re Michigan and then I hope we can put this subject to bed.
On the other hand, I am glad you challenged me on it.  I know about
organized criminals re the river during prohibition, but I have forgotten
how interesting the details were.  I expect that there are some boats on
the Detroit River currently running drugs of another sort.  While very
dangerous and risky, it's very lucrative.

Veronica
Milford, MI