[lit-ideas] Re: Michigan

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Jul 2005 22:07:03 -0400

Paul:
This is news to me. The Detroit River is about 800 metres wide and moves at
> about 5 knots. To give you an idea how much water is going through there
--
> have you ever been to Niagra Falls? Almost ALL the water that goes over
> there goes through the Detroit River. My point is that it rarely freezes
at
> all and at worst, it is full of very fast moving, ice-burgy chunks that
get
> washed down from Lake St. Clair. To walk across the Detroit River, you'd
> have to take the Ambassador Bridge. It's too bad that they don't let you
do
> that anymore.

We are both right.  Sort of.  Living here, we have seen the river freeze on
the surface and certainly deep enough to carry a man's or woman's weight.
It freezes enough when it's very, very cold.  The reason it ends up in huge
chunks is because ice breakers go through to permit freighters to go
through.

In the book "Middlesex" a couple of guys were running liquor from Windsor
to Detroit during the winter on the ice in a car because of prohibition
here.  The car fell through the ice because the car ended up in the channel
cleared by the ice breaker.  Every historical and factual event in this
book I found accurate.

We used to go to the symphony in a building located right on the river.
This was many years ago, as they changed buildings.  But we used to have
very, very cold winters.  I can't remember the last time it went below
zero.  Twenty five years or so ago there was one day when the temperature
in Detroit was 20 below or so.  More recently, about twenty years ago, I
picked up a woman walking along the road to find help for her disables car.
That morning the temperature was seven below.  We used to have several days
in a row of below zero weather. All this is in Fahrenheit. From nature
programs I have watched, I assume the river continues to flow beneath the
ice.

Veronica

Detroit