[lit-ideas] Re: Michael Moore at Cannes: Palme d'Or Best Film

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 23 May 2004 10:09:47 -0400 (GMT-04:00)

-----Original Message-----
From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
Sent: May 22, 2004 9:57 PM
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Michael Moore at Cannes: Palme d'Or Best Film

Hi,
Okay.  But, there is a strong part of me which says...however horrid it is
tat thois war was created in the first place and however horrible it has been
managed.  The *entire* US Army is not *full* of rotten people.

A.A. Oh, please Pollyanna.  Yes, the entire US Army is full of rotten people.
Unrestrained, people are capable a very horrid things.  I refer you to that
much referred to study of college students who were given jobs as mock prison
guards who, nice people though they were in their regular lives, found it easy
to torture people.   Unrestrained, it isn't people's best that comes out.

Marlena:  Mostly--they are
kids send to do what they were not prepared to do---and not for what we, as a
nation, have really trained our kids to do [i.e. fight a war that is
completely either good or evil...]

A.A.  Yeah, yeah.  Old rotten people were once rotten people.  Every see kids
in a school yard?  Not humanity at its finest.

Marlena:  This world, even the United States, is full of incredibly creative
people.
(even if the U.S. is not the MOST creative place in the world any longer--it
still is full of incredibly creative sorts...)  I walk down the rows of Walmart
and talk to people who create all sorts of things and sell them at festivals.
I had dinner last night with some friends and found out that the husband makes
really intriguing sorts of things that would sell really well around the
country at all sorts of Renaissance Festivals.  [he'd never thought of
that...but
I am always looking at how to share creativity...in all forms]

SO much creative energy exists.  Surely surely there could be a way to
somehow create a sweet world in Iraq whereby there would be and could be
penpals for
our kids to have someday--somehow.  (and, maybe it would take firing
everyone.  I know that *I* would at the least have reassigned a whole slew of
them--probably to the clasroom and had them taught some basic values and
structures of
behavior...)

Maybe it will take those who are creative finally being willing to step
upward and onward and making the sacrifices to get into positions of power and
control (and there is a sacrifice and not too many want to pay it)

I think of the union of SBC and the current strike and how the management
will be taking the 'offer' off the table on Monday.  They figure they have
nothing to lose as they don't care if the union signs or not because so many
people
are out of work that they will be able to hire the 'scabs' and break the
union.  They did it with grocery stores in most parts of the country...  and
why
is that?  Is it because people just don't care any longer?

Wondering what has happend to unity and why creative energy is not
forthcoming towards solutions that are practical, innovative and which will be
win-win...

A.A.  Being creative has nothing to do with being evil.  They get creatively
evil, that's all.

Andy Amago

Marlena in Missouri