[lit-ideas] Re: Mental Health and China

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 21 Jun 2005 23:15:55 -0400

A.A. This sounds like mental illness to me.  Everything I've heard about
China (all from reputable sources) tells me that the Chinese people, at
least in the villages, where most of the population resides, are not too
far from the characterization in Pearl Buck's The Good Earth (I'm speaking
of the movie, which no doubt is a sanitized version of reality).  When half
the population (women) is so subjugated, children are sold into slavery and
so on, and most live at a subsistence level, mental health has to adapt
itself.  The cities for now are made up of peasants streaming out of the
countryside creating cities literally almost overnight.  I want to say that
their society will improve slowly as western values of "normal" slowly rub
off on the peasants, but I'm not in a mood for a beating so I won't say it.

Andy Amago

Another is turning to fortunetellers,