[lit-ideas] Re: Member Issues

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2010 23:55:35 -0700

On Sep 30, 2010, at 10:37 PM, John McCreery wrote:

> Ah, mon, you'd best not be taking your member out. Could get arrested as a
> pervert.
>
> John (laughing hysterically)

Of course I'm hoping to amuse, but the question is seriously intended too.  The
same young and mostly female colleagues who have decided to use "they" as a
gender-neutral pronoun, also refer to "a faculty who..."  Last time I asked it
was Judy I think who said, "Yes, we agreed on that a while back.  'They' is
fine."  Maybe there's been another agreement?

David Ritchie,
Portland,