[lit-ideas] Re: Max Boot and Anger

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 04 Jan 2007 12:53:54 -0500

Simon: by assuming a 'death is the only solution' approach, the US is creating more enemies than it is killing.

As I said in an earlier post, there are plenty of long-term solutions that need to be addressed, such as encouraging Muslims to reject the literalist schools of their religion. We agree on the need to implement nonviolent long-term solutions.

Now to the short term.

Examine a hypothetical based on praxis. Suppose we know where an al-Qaeda cell is holding a meeting, and lack the means of capturing them. That was the case with Zarqawi.

Do we let them continue their career of video beheadings and car bombings because we are afraid of creating more enemies, or do we drop a 1000-pound bomb on them?

I applaud our decision to bomb Zarqawi. It pleases me to think that the last thing Zarqawi saw was a US soldier standing over him.