[lit-ideas] Re: Mailer on Sartre (was: Faith)

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 17:39:20 -0400

Andy:
Mailer isn't making
a huge amount of sense here.

I agree. The western conception of God is that he, yes, he is omnipotent,
omniscient and benevolent.  At least that's what most of us older persons
were taught.  If one reads the Bible however, one gets the God that is
exactly like us, which makes perfect sense, since gods are anthropomorphic
creations of people.

So, we actually do have a God that Mailer thinks Sartre should have
introduced into his philosophy.  This God is capricious, unpredictable,
cruel, murderous and sometimes even a little kind.  Which is why many
people reject Him, It, whatever.
And so did Sartre.

Veronica Caley
Milford, MI

Atheism
> > can contend with ethics (as Sartre did on occasion most brilliantly),
but
> > when it comes to metaphysics, atheism ends in a locked cell. It is,
after
> > all, near to impossible for a philosopher to explore how we are here
> > without entertaining some notion of what the prior force might have
been.
> > Cosmic speculation is asphyxiated if existence came into being ex
nihilo.
> > In Sartre's case--worse. Existence came into being without a clue to
> > suggest whether we are here for good purpose, or there is no reason
> > whatsoever for us.
> >

> > All the same, Sartre's philosophical talents were damnably virtuoso. He
> was
> > able to function with precision in the upper echelons of every logical
> > structure he set up. If only he had not been an existentialist! For an
> > existentialist who does not believe in some kind of Other is equal to
an
> > engineer who designs an automobile that requires no driver and accepts
no
> > passengers. If existentialism is to flourish (that is, develop through
> > series of new philosophers building on earlier premises), it needs a
God
> > who is no more confident of the end than we are; a God who is an
artist,
> > not a law-giver; a God who suffers the uncertainties of existence; a
God