[lit-ideas] Re: Mailer on Sartre (was: Faith)

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 21 May 2005 12:07:15 -0400

Mailer is saying philosophy is irrelevant except for those in search of a
hereafter, i.e., a God, and existentialism needs a "God who, no matter His
or Her > cosmic dimensions, (whether larger or smaller than we assume),
embodies > nonetheless some of our faults, our ambitions, our talents and
our gloom."   He's saying Satre failed because he couldn't find a man-god
to worship, otherwise known as theological relativism.  Mailer isn't making
a huge amount of sense here.

Andy Amago

He