[lit-ideas] Re: META: list guidelines useful as a trapdoor on a lifeboat

  • From: "Simon Ward" <sedward@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 15 Jul 2009 15:20:44 +0100

Eric: "Simon was aggrieved when I (rightly I think) called for the total destruction of the non-West."

'Aggrieved' is a strong word. I thought (perhaps wrongly considering) that the total destruction of the non-West might be considered a slight over-reaction a perceived danger to western civilisation. When it came down to it, Eric seemed to be concerned that libraries would no longer be peaceful refuges from the rigours of global disharmony and as such it would be good and proper to nuke the buggers to extinction. I wasn't entirely sure that this was an appropriate response.

[...]

And while I'm writing ....

Mike is keen to talk about God's insufficiences. I have a question:

Do you have to believe in God to have the opinion that he isn't really up to the task?

[...]

A fairly close neighbour with whom I sit on a local committee reported that his wife had recently published a book.

Splendid! I asked what the book was called, thinking it might be another Dartmoor bodice ripper.

He said it was 'The Penguin Book of Classical Myths'.

That shut me up!

Simon
Snoozing on the edge of Dartmoor.