[lit-ideas] Lutheranic Implicatures

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 12 Oct 2004 08:58:48 EDT

In a message dated 10/12/2004 1:08:27 AM Eastern Standard Time,
atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
"Did" is  really rather Luteran in its implications, wouldn't
> you agree?   Whereas "done" speaks of Southern love, i.e.,  uncontrollable
>  appetites.  I don't know about "wrongly"  I've never felt I've been  done
> wrongly.
>
> Mike Geary
> postmodern Southern  gothic
------

Geary rightly spells "gothic" -- lower-case 'g', and aspirated 't' (th) --.
However, by the OED standards, he wrongly spells 'Luteran'. I've just checked
and I wonder whether he meant "Lutheranic" -- since it concerns the
'interpretation of the words' (see quote). -- Cheers,

JL

----

Lutheranancer

1562  G.  CAVENDISH Wolsey (1893) 273

Depresse this newe pernicious sekt  of the lutarynnauncers.

----

Lutheranic:

1848  W. H.  MILL Five Serm. 132 note,

Where..the palmary  Lutheranic dogma is implied. Ibid. 139 note, Perhaps this
is the Lutheranic interpretation of the words.