[lit-ideas] Re: Locating Friere's foot

  • From: cblists@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 9 Aug 2009 12:01:42 +0200

On 9-Aug-09, at 6:27 AM, Mike Geary wrote:

[Robert Paul]:
Wittgenstein wrote in the Investigations that '[p]hilosophical problems arise when language goes on holiday.'

Hmmm. I would have said: "Language happens when philosophy goes on holiday." But that's just me.

The two are not mutually exclusive. And the first does not imply that 'taking language on a holiday' is NECESSARILY a bad thing. Sometimes one - or some (i.e., a colloquium) - may wish to GENERATE or EXERCISE philosophical 'problems. An important thing here is that one - or the colloquium - is AWARE that s/he - or the larger group - is doing so.

Am I wrong in thinking that the following quotation is (at least) not unrelated (and even, perhaps, an illustration of the point I am trying to make)?

“I sit with a philosopher in a garden; he says again and again, ‘I know that that is a tree,’ pointing to a tree that is near us. Someone else comes by and hears this, and I tell him, ‘This fellow isn’t insane; we’re only doing philosophy.'" [from L. Wittgenstein, ON CERTAINTY]

Chris Bruce
Kiel, Germany