[lit-ideas] Re: Literature as a reflection of life

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 08 Apr 2006 03:12:20 -0400

John: Now, that's an interesting insight. Eric, where to we go with it?

Heard this joke in Brazil. I've posted it before but it seems appropriate here.

It's winter in Ilhéus and two Brazilian guys are sitting on a dune above the beach watching the ocean. A cold wind is blowing and the sky is getting dark early. They see three people--a Frenchman, an American, and a Brazilian--walking along the beach at the edge of the frigid water.

One of the guys on the dune says, "I bet 50 Reais I can make all three jump in the water even though it's cold." His friend agrees. So they guy jogs down the shore, greets the three men, and whispers something to each of them. One after the other, the men wade into the winter surf and plunge underwater.

"Pay up," says the guy to his friend.

"But what did you say?"

"I told the Frenchman that it was fashionable to jump in the water. I told the American that it was the law to jump into the water. And I told the Brazilian that it was forbidden."

Was confused when I first heard this joke. What? You mean Americans are not crazy gun-toting cowboys and rugged individualists? You see us as little trembling Wally Cox guys afraid of breaking ordinances and needing permission for everything? Alas, it is so!