[lit-ideas] Re: List moderator

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 05 Mar 2006 16:13:21 -0800

Ursula,

I find your reaction to Andreas' briefly moderating the list (mostly overnight) puzzling.

Several things:

On the blog, you liken his action to the destruction of Phil-Lit. Phil-Lit was not exactly destroyed: it was unilaterally shut down by David Meyers (against the wishes of the advisory board (or whatever we were called) which had been formed to prevent his doing just that, and to prevent his intemperate removal of listmembers who offended him.
But he had the keys, despite what had been agreed.

After 9/11, what had been in fact, not just in name, a list for the discussion of ideas, became highly politicized. Tempers flared, feeling ran high, and personal attacks were common. It was not pleasant. Many despaired. Yet the list survived: people like Chris Bruce continued to send posts on Rilke, and Kant; things were discussed amid the shouting. But there were never, at any time, on Phil-Lit, continued contentless exchanges of sheer, vituperative misunderstanding such as we saw here not long ago, a flurry of posts that would have been unthinkable on Phil-Lit, even on its worst days.

It would have been unthinkable not because nobody ever told anybody else to fuck off, but because after the first such post, The Chider would have (off list) gently (at first) told the party of the first part to cool it, please. And after continued infractions the Board might have discussed unsubbing him or her.

It was not moderation of Phil-Lit which eventually killed it but the very thing you seem in favor of, viz., the free reign of rudeness and intolerance of the plainest sort. This is not a bar. But if it were, one might wonder why anybody would want to remain in a place where everybody was shouting 'Eat shit, you motherfucking asshole,' without pause. That's not discussion. It's not the free expression of ideas. It's just noise. I'll go down the street.

This list was never shut down, as you seem to imply. It was, for a very brief time, moderated—although not as Phil-Lit was moderated. Andreas looked at posts before they appeared on the list. (Obviously he could not keep that up, nor did he want to.) Phil-Lit was moderated after the fact. Not everything went.

I admired your poem and your crooked house.

Robert

robert.paul@xxxxxxxx