[lit-ideas] Re: "Leftist" vs. "Counterculturalist"

  • From: "Judith Evans" <judithevans1@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 7 Aug 2006 20:52:34 +0100

Eric, the criticism is not that Lawrence speaks of "Left" and
"Right" but that his categorizations and generalizations are
crude and  that he overhomogenizes "leftists".   Your

> Not all leftists are counterculturalists and vice versa.
> Instead what defines counterculturalism is alienation.

doesn't seem much of an advance to me, frankly, though
it may be an advance of your

>Let me suggest "counterculturalist" instead of "leftist."

to which I responded, and which does not seem to me to meet
Carol's
point.

Judy