[lit-ideas] Re: LOVE POEM #1002

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 19 Oct 2005 13:39:46 -0400

David: How I expected you to guess this, I don't now know.

By looking at your E-mail's International Standard E-mail Code (ISEC) number, subfields $a and $c, of course!

Subfield Codes for Lit-Ideas

$a - Standard Post Number or Intention Code
$c - Terms of Humor or Deadpan Approach
$d - Additional codes following the standard number or code...for private use only
$z - Canceled/invalid nonstandard number or decoder ring position
$2 - Source of any reference by country code (from MARC Code Lists for Relators, Sources, Description Conventions)
$6 - Linkage or Control Subfields expressed in random digits
$8 - Field link and sequence number
$9 - International Bob Dylan Number

Examining the complete header of David's message, the Received SPF = non-neutral humor (gmail.com: sender is neither permitted nor denied by best guess record for domain of lit-ideas-bounce@xxxxxxxxxxxxx) ISEC= $a SL, $c=SL, haggis.

If I were not a fainéant poltroon, too intemperately immersed in my daily round of sybaritic pleasures and grave responsibilities to check full E-mail headers, I would have noticed that both your ISECs were coded SL for "straight line." David, Lit-Ideas code name "haggis," expecting a more careful reader of E-mail, has offered me free range in reply. Yet I took his post for mere data.

What excuse can I make? That I had lumbago? That I was salmon-spearing by torchlight? That I was drafting a monograph on the swimming pools of Kyrgyzstan? That I was sewing new buttons on my side pouch? All are true, but do not go far to excuse my lazy ways, and the great wrong I have perpetrated here. David is right to complain about a "rat's heart." Negligence such as this may redden the cheeks, bow the head, and cause nearby women to go "tsk-tsk-tsk," but can only stall and whimper when exposed. No penance salves such wounds.

In great shame and haste,
EY