[lit-ideas] Re: KJV God -- (Was: Shakespeare)

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Oct 2007 13:42:08 -0700

His version is called, to this day, KJV -- King James Version. I find the monologues by God in it too "Shakespeare" for my taste, with a sprinkle of Alexander Pope and John Milton. I prefer Wycliff's God. He speaks with the roughness one expect from a Middle Eastern.

The King James Version, often called the Authorized Version in the UK, was the work of a committee. It was published in 1611, so Shakespeare's works might have had some influence on its prose although I find its rhythms markedly different from Shakespeare's. Milton was born in 1608, and although he may have been precocious, I doubt if he was that precocious. Pope, of course, wrote in the 18th C.

Robert Paul
The Reed Institute