[lit-ideas] Re: Jewish communities in the ME

  • From: "Stan Spiegel" <writeforu2@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2004 16:52:48 -0400

"I seem to remember that the grandfather of Nathaniel
Hawthorne sentenced a Quaker woman to be whipped in
the streets of Boston, which is mentioned in one of
his stories. What could this tell us about the
American society ?"

Omar - Denial seems to be your primary defense mechanism for dealing with
uncomfortable realities. The passages you selected about Jewish refugees in
Middle eastern countries support my contention that Jews are virtually
non-existent - persona non grata - in those countries. I'm Jewish. I would
be crazy to be a tourist in those countries. It's dangerous enough to visit
Israel today.

For an intelligent person, you can be awfully dumb. Denial doesn't help you
make your case.

Stan Spiegel