[lit-ideas] Re: Islamism and Islamism

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sun, 26 Feb 2006 07:50:52 -0800

Okay, Omar, There is something wrong with Hirsi Ali, Daniel Pipes, Ibn
Warrick, and me.  We are all perverse and uninformed for not being able to
find Islamic Moderates, but why waste your time criticizing us?  That
doesn't really prove your point.  The demolishing of us doesn't produce any
Moderate Muslims.  Instead, why don't you say, "look, here they are!  Here
and here and here and here.  Look, here is a whole nation of them.  See how
they value human rights.  See especially how well they treat women.  Women
can do and say anything they like there.  They can dress however they like.
Look at all the freedom of speech.  See how that organization over there
criticizes the president and nothing is done to them.  Do you see that?
That is because they are free and uncoerced, and the President has no
recourse but to let those people say any thing they like -- and the press -
see how free the press is.  They can say anything they like.  And look how
peaceful everyone is.  Look over there is an Islamic Pacifist organization.
They don't believe in any fighting of any kind.  And no one wants an
aggressive war.  As to Jihads, don't worry about them.  They are for
personal improvement only.

If you were able to say that, Omar; then all our mouths would shut.  But you
can't, because such a situation doesn't exist.  Even the people you fancy as
moderates don't hold to all of the positions above.  But if there were any,
they would either be in hiding with there mouths firmly closed, or they
would have immigrated to a Western nation where they could find like-minded
people, and perhaps form another Progressive Islam organization.

Lawrence.