[lit-ideas] Re: Iraq explosives

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 29 Oct 2004 14:48:08 EDT

Okay, *why*, when I select all and choose "copy as plain text" does the
thing insert equals signs and "20"s all over the place?!

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Iraq explosives
Date: 10/29/04 1:32:11 PM Central Daylight Time  From: _JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxxx
(mailto:JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Click here: AOL News - TV Video May Show Missing  Explosives  =20
http://aolsvc.news.aol.com/news/article.adp?id=3D20041029044209990014

Bush   can't say Hussein smuggled them out before our attack anymore....
hop=
e=20
enough people get wind of this news to make a  difference.

<<TV  Video May Show Missing  Explosives
=20
WASHINGTON (Oct. 29) - Videotape shot by a Minnesota  television crew =20
traveling with U.S. troops in Iraq when they first opened  the bunkers at the=
=20
Al-Qaqaa munitions base nine days after the fall  of Saddam Hussein shows wha=
t =20
appeared to be high explosives still in  barrels and bearing the markings
of=20=
the =20
International Atomic  Energy Agency.

AP
Soldier with 101st Airborne examines contents of a  barrel in  bunker at=20
Al-Qaqaa facility April 18, 2003.
Watch: An  Explosive  Discovery
Broadband Only: New Evidence Found =20

The  video taken by KSTP of St. Paul on April 18, 2003, could reinforce  =20
suggestions that tons of explosives missing from a munitions installation  in=
Iraq=20
were looted after the U.S. invasion and occupation of  Iraq. The video was =20
broadcast nationally Thursday on ABC.
=20
"The  photographs are consistent with what I know of Al-Qaqaa," David A.
Kay=
,=20
a former American official who directed the hunt in Iraq for
unconventional=20=
=20
weapons and visited the site, told The New York  Times. "The damning thing is=
=20
the  seals. The Iraqis didn't use  seals on anything. So I'm absolutely
sure=20
that's an  IAEA  seal."
=20
The question of what happened to the tons of explosives has  become a major
=20
issue in the closing days of the presidential  campaign.
=20
=20
Talk About It =20

=B7 Chat | Post  Messages  =20

Democrat John Kerry says the missing explosives -  powerful enough to =20
demolish a building, bring down a jetliner or set off  a nuclear weapon - are=
another=20
example of the Bush  administration's poor planning and incompetence in =20
handling the war in  Iraq. President Bush says the explosives were possibly
=20=
removed=20
by  Saddam's forces before the invasion.
=20
Defense Secretary Donald H.  Rumsfeld entered the debate Thursday,  suggestin=
g=20
the 377 tons  of explosives were taken away before U.S. forces  arrived,=20
saying any  large effort to loot the material afterward would have been
dete=
cted.
=20
"We would have seen anything like that," he said in one  of two radio =20
interviews he gave at the Pentagon. "The idea it was  suddenly looted and mov=
ed  out,=20
all of these tons of equipment,  I think is at least debatable."
=20
The Pentagon also declassified and  released a single image, taken by =20
reconnaissance aircraft or satellite  just days before the war, showing two
=20=
trucks=20
outside one of the  dozens of storage bunkers at the Al-Qaqaa munitions
base=
.
=20
=20
More on This Story =20

=B7 Soldier  Describes Removing Explosives   =20

The particular bunker is  not one known to have contained  any of the missing=
=20
explosives,  and Pentagon spokesman Larry Di Rita said the  image only
shows=20
that  there was some Iraqi activity at the base when it was  taken, on
March=20=
17.=20
Di Rita said the image says nothing about what happened  to  the explosives.
=20
Rumsfeld, in one radio interview, also cast  doubt on the suggestion of one
=20
of his subordinates that Russian forces  assisted the Iraqis in removing  the=
m.
=20
John Shaw, the deputy  U.S. undersecretary of defense for international =20
technology security,  suggested to The Washington Times in an interview
that=20=
the  =20
Russians may have been involved, prompting an angry denial from  Moscow.
=20
Rumsfeld said, "I have no information on that at all, and  cannot validate =20
that even slightly."
=20
But at issue is whether  the weapons were moved before or after U.S. forces
=20
occupied that region  of the country in early April. No one has been able
to=20=
=20
provide  conclusive evidence either way, although Iraqi officials blamed it o=
n  =20
poor U.S. security after Baghdad fell.
=20
The Pentagon has said  it's looking into the matter, and officials note
that=20=
=20
400,000 tons  of recovered Iraqi munitions have either been destroyed or
are=20=
=20
slated to be destroyed.>>

Julie  Krueger