[lit-ideas] Iran and the U.N.

  • From: Brian <cabrian@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 24 Feb 2007 14:21:04 -0600

The sixty day deadline the U.N. Security Council gave to Iran to stop enriching uranium is now passed. So now what? More threats of sanctions? In July of last year the same security council demanded that Iran suspend uranium enrichment by 31 August and that deadline went by so in December they gave them this sixty day deadline. And how did Iran respond? By calling the resolution illegal and immoral and accelerating their uranium enrichment program.

ElBaradei has issued his report of noncompliance and while Robert Gates wrings his hands over Congress impeaching Bush if he acts militarily against Iran we have a couple of choices. I hope this regime topples before action is necessary but it seems increasingly unlikely that they will go quietly. They have been aiding the enemy in Iraq with weapons and manpower (Quds forces) and the nutroots have been busy saying that intelligence is being fabricated for another war. Apparently the U.N. Security Council will be meeting on Monday to draft another resolution.

~Brian