[lit-ideas] Re: Iran and the U.N.

  • From: "John McCreery" <john.mccreery@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 25 Feb 2007 18:40:04 +0900

On 2/25/07, Eric Yost` <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx> wrote:

But if you see people falling to their deaths from burning skyscrapers,
exploding into pink mist on the sidewalks, you don't immediately want to
trust some smiling buffoon peddling feelgood pills and singing "happy
days are here again" elected just because they wear a Democrat label on
their suit.

No you don't. And I don't either. My favorite candidate was Mark
Warner, who did a damned fine job as governor of Virginia and looked
like the kind of guy who could, in fact, work across the aisle, bring
people together and get things done. Since Warner pulled out, I've
been waiting and watching. On the whole I'd prefer a governor, since
sitting in a legislature and having executive experience are very
different things; but Bill Richardson doesn't light my fire.

At the moment I'm leaning to Obama, partly because what we know of him
as a state legislator and Senator suggests that he both shares my
ideals and has the ability I admired in Warner to work across the
aisle to get things done, partly because I think his election would be
a fantastic symbol that the American Dream is alive after all in all
its mongrel glory, and partly because, like a lot of people I know, I
think two decades of Clintons and Bushes is enough. It is time for a
new generation and the hope a new generation brings. To me the glory
of the American system is the regular opportunity to throw the old
buggers out and start over--Jefferson's perpetual revolution.

On the other side, McCain has lost me entirely by his flip-flopping
and sucking up to the religious right. Nobody looks more pathetic than
a genuine hero gone to seed. Romney is a cypher who seems to be going
the same way as McCain. Chuck Hagel looks relatively good. If we are
stuck with a conservative, a genuinely brave and honest one would be
nice for a change.

What's your take on Giuliani, who seems to be leading on your side at
the moment? Is there more there than a heroic pose struck at an
opportune moment? Is he really as much of a corrupt, dictatorial
bastard as the left-wing blogs make him out to be?

John

--
John McCreery
The Word Works, Ltd., Yokohama, JAPAN