[lit-ideas] Interpretation and Elision

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: Lit-Ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 06 Dec 2005 18:28:40 -0500

Was thinking about the relationship between elision and interpretation.

If I say, "Brahms is too serious for my taste," I'm stating an opinion that is in part an *elision* of Brahms, omitting compositions like the Hungarian Dances, the waltzes, the string serenades. Or if I say, "Chris Rock's comedy is racist," I'm stating an opinion that elides all the nonracist Chris Rock comedy. To be even more extreme, if I say the second George Herbert poem, "Love" is about love, then I'm eliding all the other parts of the poem, for example, the fire symbolism.

Can you really interpret anything without eliding part of it?