[lit-ideas] Re: International reaction to the debates

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 2 Oct 2004 00:29:54 EDT

We had wanted to go to the Truman Library to watch the debate and hear what
the the 'experts' were going to say afterwards (UMKC debate people/some media
attorney, etc.) as Ben has asked about learning about such things...but after
an  evening of a five mile walk and then his taekwondo practice, plus a
social  studies test to study for, we decided to just watch it at home.  (we
are
training for his 10 mile backpacking campout coming up--he's not that big and
so  we decided that a bit of training would be in order. Since I had stopped
exercising a while ago, it has been really good for me, too.  And Sparky,  the
dog, is in doggie heaven...<g>)

The American Library Association offers a video by him and has had Arch
Lustberg (media trainer) speak at some of its annual conferences--and he is
very
very good at explaining some of the things that happen during media
interviews/debates.  So, having heard him in person and having used Arch's
videos in
training for my own library programmers, I was able to talk about some  of the
techniques that would influence people...As Arch has said, the key is NOT  to
try to change the 'decided' minds--but those of the undecided.  And, to  use
the 'open face' and emotional words--as well as avoiding 'buzz words' if you
don't want to be associated with them--and to say  the buzz words if you  do...
 and all Bush was able to do was to say what words he wanted  (apparently
desperately) to be remembered...)

BUT...John Kerry was able to counter with several thoughtful and catchy
statements(important when one recognizes that over 90% of the world only
thinks/remembers what is catchy  ... sad to say but so so true...)

AND what was most fascinating to me was the reaction to me when I got to
work today.

I was about the ONLY person in my building at the time (we are a large
library system--but I work in our headquarters with about 350 others) who was
appalled at our going to war against Iraq.  (for so so many reasons...)

When I got to work this morning the first thing I was greeted with was 'Did
you watch the debate?"  and then...discussion.   They also all  know that I
(sad to say <wry look>) voted for Bush and many of them did  not ... BUT I have
been agast at his presidency when they have been not...   and so...several all
told me that they thought of me and what I had said during  that time (i.e.
Excuse me, is bin Laden in Iraq?  Why don't we finish what  we started?...and
with Kerry having pointed that out to George Bush [who  stammered when he said
that he knew who caused 9-11...)...and his wondering what  had happened to bin
Laden...apparently that was an impact.

Because of the economy, I think they were already going to vote for Kerry
(all of them really like John Edwards...Missouri's Man, I think <g>), but  it
was the FIRST time any of them have even SPOKEN of Iraq and its mess to me
since Bush decided to enter there.  The first time...and they were sweet to  me
about it---face-saving, of course, but John Kerry has given them that
direction...for they, too, I think, were misled and willing to trust someone
who
theoretically had intelligence (I, we all know, have trust issues, so I look
more
closely at stuff...which they all know and which they had a hard time with  at
the time...)

My siblings...well, I figure that one of my sibings is probably in charge  of
the project that Kerry wants to cut and that is why they are all so freaked
out at the thought of his being elected.  I had not really been able to
understand where their emotions were coming from--but actually, it DOES seem
like
it is like those even in the social service/human service fields who freak
out whenever there is a project that really really makes a difference (there
used to be a bunch of us who puzzled over that freaking out until one of us
figured out that it was just that the rest of them couldn't understand that
there was LOTS of room for improvement and that they would still have  job  if
things became 'okay'...)

and so...I do not know (it is all speculation...)  but I  wonder...

Two teachers asked my child for our email.  I think I will see if our  suburb
wants to have a groupie/meet-up party at my house for one of the upcoming
debates (none of us, including me, will drive to where the debate parties are
located---too far and we have to pass through two Interstate barriers <g>  to
get there. I never USED to be a suburbanite <g> but I fear as I have  gotten
older that driving that far is harder...esp at night...)

We meet (Ben and I) with an undecided family tomorrow (the dad and son are
working with him on basketball techniques---) before we go work for the Kerry
phone banks.  I wonder what they will say the debate did for them (we had  had
a really candid talk about a month ago and they were totally  undecided...)

Arch Lustberg would say that any debate is for the undecided.  I think  we
need to remember that...

Late at night and all...but sending all the best of the best wishes,
Marlena