[lit-ideas] Re: Infinite beliefs

  • From: Robert Paul <robert.paul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 14:40:43 -0700

Phil wrote:

I wrote:

"And for some of my beliefs I don't even know that I have them, much
less believe them."

to which Robert Paul replied:

"Which ones are those, Phil?"

The ones I discover when I have this kind of conversation:

A: "Phil, what do you think about ... ?"

Phil: "Hmmm, haven't really thought much about that but I suppose that I
believe ..."

I suppose it would depend on whether one thought that one already had those beliefs (as one might have an unnoticed gray hair) or that one came to have them when one came to think about … . The latter seems in a way the converse of Augustine's report about his (in this case knowledge) of time.

'I'd always believed that … but now that I think more about it, I no longer do.'

'I'd never thought much about it until you asked, but now that you have, I believe that … .

The last wouldn't seem to be the Platonic recollection of something that had present all along. So, are such beliefs arrived at or discovered?

'I now remember that i believe that … . Thank God; I was lost there for a minute.'

Robert Paul