[lit-ideas] Re: Infinite beliefs

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Apr 2006 18:21:59 -0400

Robert Paul wrote:

"So, are such beliefs arrived at or discovered?"

It seems to me they are epiphenomenal.  We live a certain way and when
the occasion calls for it, we articulate this way of living in
propositional form.  The beliefs I formulate on these occasions are not
recollected since I can be wrong about what I believe.  Nor can these
beliefs be created on the spot since other people occasionally see what
I believe better than I and before I do.

A: "Phil, what do you think about ... ?"
Phil: "Hmmm, haven't really thought much about that but I suppose that I
believe ..."
A: "But you are .. and you also believe ...  I think you believe ..."
Phil: "Hmmm, you're right.  I suppose, then, that I believe ..."

A linguistic Ausserung, as it were.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON