[lit-ideas] Re: In Grice's Name

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 27 Jun 2012 12:31:22 +0100 (BST)

As a layperson rather than expert, and on a serious note, on reviewing the
passages below I do not see how 410 adds to what precedes it: for example, if
410 were omitted I do not see that we would find something important missing
from the passages preceding it, something that on reading 410 we might go
'A-ha! That explains it'. Which is to say, I don't see how 410 much clarifies
or develops what precedes it. At least it is unclear how 410 does this - and
you would need some commentary to form a bridge between 410 and what precedes
it: but if that commentary must go beyond 410, then 410 might seem inadequate
as it stands. On the face of it, 410 simply recapitulates in more general terms
what has been said previously: "For the main point is: I did not say that
such-and such a person was in
pain, but "I am  . . . . . " Now in saying this I don't name any person."

If we try to put aside the semantics of 'name' by admitting that naming/name is
used 410 in a sense more restrictive than when all words might be regarded as
kinds of names [when 'running' might be viewed as the name of a certain action
(as W seems to allow it might when discussing the Augustine picture of
language), and the connective 'and' might name a certain relation between other
items of language etc.]: then there is clear enough sense in which 'I' is not
straightforwardly a name. Nor does it seem to me "jejeune" in an objectionable
way to say this sense is reflected in the fact it would appear wrong to say "My
name is I".But so? And how does this connect with the foregoing in PI?

What we may perhaps agree is that it would be a mistake to view these passages
as propounding a thesis [perhaps to be extracted by analysis], at least that is
not their purpose. Their purpose is to help us not be carried away with certain
turns of thought that our language may make tempting, by reflecting on what may
be said with sense and what may not be said with sense (so that the possibility
that seems contained in the latter forms of expression is seen as a mirage).
That is, these passages are intended as therapeutic for certain kinds of
philosophical flights of thought.

Permit me to tie this in with the ubiquitous 'key tenet': for at the back of
this therapy is the view that we can only try to show what can be said with
sense and what cannot. W is not interested in trying to say what constitutes
'I' or 'naming' or 'sense' or 'pain' or 'person' etc. To try to say anything of
this character would conflict with the 'key tenet', and so it is an implicit
consequence of the 'key tenet' that W nowhere seeks to say any such thing. W
rather takes such terms and, without saying anything of this character, seeks
to show what may be said with sense and what may not (using certain
thought-experiments to bring this out).

For example, I would suggest that 410 should be viewed consistent with W being
open to the possibility that we could construct a language-game where 'I' did
name a person: but W would then seek to show that, if we did so, this would not
get us anywhere in terms of some philosophical argument that an 'I' is [or is
not] a 'person'. So when W claims something like '"I" is not the name of a
person, nor "here" of a place, and "this" is not a name.', he should not be
taken as setting down some grammatical remarks that hold for any possible
language-game but as drawing his remarks from looking at how we actually and
typically use these items of language.

Yet I do not see any greater importance in 410, in terms of developing W's POV,
than my "jejeune" post indicates. It seems more a recapitulation.

Donal