[lit-ideas] Re: In Grice's Name

  • From: Donal McEvoy <donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 26 Jun 2012 21:00:25 +0100 (BST)

Unfortunately Robert's quotation is not given any commentary so that we might
be enlightened as to whether W means more than merely the following:

'I' does not name a person: hence we do not say 'My name is I' etc.

'I' may refer to a person: e.g. 'I am a person not a machine, Mr. Turing'.

If something more profound or interesting is afoot we should perhaps be told.
In particular, if W is denying that 'I' may refer to a person just as 'there'
may refer to a place (on the face of it W doesn't deny they may so refer).

Thus the Crow did not 'name the killer' so much as admit he was the killer by
referring to the killer as 'I'.

Donal