[lit-ideas] Re: Implicatures of "Feel"

  • From: Eric <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 03 Sep 2010 02:45:52 -0400

"I feel like Tchaikovsky" could mean: "Whenever I conduct a symphony orchestra, my head feels like it's coming off and I have to hold it down, but thank Bog my financial patron doesn't want to meet me, and, aw-shucks, I am being forced to commit suicide to hide a scandal."

Or it could mean: "I'm in a mood to hear lush expressive melodies performed by a symphony orchestra, but I'll settle for Glinka."

Or it could mean: "I desire to compose music as a profession."

Or it could mean: "In response to the question, 'How do you feel?' I am going to provide the cryptic answer 'I feel like Tchaikovsky' rather than describe my bodily sensations, thoughts, and feelings."

Or it could mean: "For tonight's costume party I have dressed as Pyotr Ilych Tchaikovsky, with a perfect period-style tuxedo, grayed hair, and, adjusting my false beard in the mirror, realize that I really DO feel like Tchaikovsky!"

Or it could mean: "The phrase was a coded message from Boris telling me to meet him down by the docks."