[lit-ideas] Re: I quite liked "Arthur"

  • From: "Julie Krueger" <juliereneb@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 17 Nov 2008 00:39:23 -0600

> Thank you, Julie, for responding to the wotsit.  How rare is that in these
> hopeful, poetic but dire times?

Isn't it often the beautiful and gracious things which are truly important?
Or at least get us through the rest of it?

Having made this evening the most wonderful chicken curry in the world, for
> a crowd of ten, I, unlike you, am not a frustrated chef, and will remain so
> until next I fail.

I'd love to see your chicken curry recipe to compare with my own.  I have
loved cooking deeply forever....at birthday parties or holidays or just
Friday night Nice Dinner, any complaints were generally about the
unnecessary cost of ingredients and length of preparation time.  I'm a
frustrated cook now because I no longer have anyone for whom to cook.

> I did not made the mushroom dinner; Greg Higgins, (http://
> higgins.ypguides.net/) or he and his minions did.  The menu, with wine
> pairing, went:
>
> Forest mushroom cappuccino with Sokol Bloser Pinot Gris 2007
>
> Grilled matsutake and leeks in a gingered dashi broth with Domaine Drouhin
> Chardonnay "Arthur" 2007
> [I hate chardonnay generally, but I quite liked "Arthur"]
>
> Porcini "schnitzel" with endives, apples, walnuts and cider reduction
> Brick House Gamay Noir 2007
>
> Truffled arancini with leeks and fonduta of fontina cheese
> N.X.N.W. Cabernet 2006 Columbia Valley
>
> Frozen tartuffo of Oregon black truffles with port syrup and candied
> hazelnuts
>
> If all this sounds terribly pretentious, it's because it is.  There's no
> defending art except by certifying that's what it is.  The wineries donate
> the wine.  The best wine, BTW, was the last.  Never heard of it, but I'm
> going to investigate.  Higgins goes out of his way to invent dishes.  All
> we, the public, have to do, is show up and pay the price, which wouldn't get
> you a seat in the gods in New York City.
>
> Ah, Oregon.  I don't normally eat at Higgins, because it's expensive by our
> standards, but this was interesting and not too pricey.
>
> At the next table, purely by coincidence, the president and several folk
> from my college were treating themselves to steak and who knows what,
> courtesy of an expense account and a speaker.  Our meal was not entirely
> satisfactory-- had they asked me, I would have added meat or fish to the
> main course if that were not beyond the self-imposed discipline-- but I
> applaud Greg Higgins for, I think the fourth time, for trying very hard.
>  Well done that man.

Chilean Sea Bass, perhaps.

> Since the welcome to my first job in this part of the world--editor of a
> research hospital newsletter--was the tale of several people who needed
> liver transplants because they ate the wrong wild mushrooms, though I love
> the flavors, I'm content to let Greg Higgins or someone completely
> knowledgeable do the mushroom picking and choosing.  How wonderful is it,
> though, that we in Oregon have this bounty.

Well -- I'm salivating and enjoying vicariously.

Julie Krueger