[lit-ideas] Re: How are things in Paris?

  • From: Michael Chase <goya@xxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 8 Nov 2005 08:19:55 +0100

Le 7 nov. 05, à 18:55, Andreas Ramos a écrit :

Any word from Mike Chase? I read there were fires in the Place de la Republique in Paris.

So, is Mike barricaded in his room, hiding from marauding youths?

Or is Mike out there, astride a barricade, leading the youths?

M.C. I wish I could appear on a web-cam in trench-coat, Geraldo-like, giving a speech characterized by gritty determination as the smoke rose over the ruins of what was once Paris.

But if the truth be told, I haven't noticed one single change in my daily routine. CNN informs me that helicopters are circling downtown Paris : if that's true, they're the quietest helicopters ever invented, for I haven't heard a single one.

Let's not misunderstand : the situation is serious : there is considerably more violence in the banlieues than usual, and a tiny bit in downtown Paris (a few cars torched Place de la Republique, a case or two of arson in the Marais). But this is a big city : they are cases of arson every night of the week even in "normal" times.

The situation of banlieue youth is intolerable, and French politicians have done nothing but ignore the problem for a generation. I don't know what the solution may be, but some effort must be made to alleviate the ghettoization of African immigrants and their children.

I would guess the current situation will fizzle out when Nicolas ("scum") Sarkozy resigns. But that will alter the symptoms, not the causes of the current violence.

        Best, and thanks for the concern,

        Mike.

Michael Chase
(goya@xxxxxxxxxxx)