[lit-ideas] Re: How It Goes

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 21 Apr 2011 23:53:56 -0700

And while I'm busy with the weird, I thought I'd publish on other stuff:

In this large volume Ritchie (UFO: The Definitive Guide to Unidentified Flying
Objects and Related Phenomena, LJ 1/95) lists several hundred shipwrecks
alphabetically by ship name; vessels named after people are in last name order.
The greatest number of wrecks he includes date from the middle 1800s to the
1940s. Specifically excluded are ships sunk during combat. Some wrecks are
given page-long coverage and contain many colorful anecdotes. Other entries
offer only the bare essentials of when, where, and how the ship sank. Ritchie
gives good, balanced accounts of such controversial wrecks as the Mary Celeste,
SS Waratah, Lusitania, and Titanic. He presents all sides and tries to tell as
accurate a story as current theories allow. He also includes a chronology of
shipwrecks and a brief bibliography. While no work could list all shipwrecks,
his reference would be a nice addition for public library reference collections.

David Ritchie,
not this author