[lit-ideas] Re: Honey

  • From: Andy <mimi.erva@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 9 Nov 2011 19:12:50 -0800 (PST)

The FDA inspects 1% of the food that comes into the country, which means 99% is
not inspected.  The sugar solution with flavoring is a distinct possibility,
probably high fructose corn syrup, which our corn producers would be
supplying.  In so many ways it's back to the future to the days of The Jungle
by Sinclair Lewis, before regulation.  I had read a few years ago that there
was an international crime ring in olive oil.  They were selling flavored soy
or other oil and passing it off as expensive olive oil and making huge
profits.  Tuna is (perhaps was due to Fukushima) another real life novel, it's
an extremely high profit item.  Mitsubishi in particular had an actual business
plan where they were fishing the tuna to extinction, literally, and freezing
it.  That way when the tuna was gone they would be the only supplier and could
charge anything they wanted and make tons of money.  I don't know if Fukushima
threw a monkey wrench into their
 plan.  Hopefully it did.  Veering off the subject, some say the oceans will be
devoid of fish by the year 2048 if current rates of commercial fishing continue.

The real loss with honey is that bees are dying from colony collapse
syndrome.  Bees are needed to pollinate just about everything.  It could be a
coincidence, but the planet is in a mass planetary extinction of species.
(Something like the sixth in its history.)  A planet-wide extinction could take
a couple of centuries in human years; in geological time it shows up as one
instantaneous event.  This particular extinction may be triggered by humans,
for example what we're doing to the oceans.

Andy