[lit-ideas] Re: Here's a useful word for the list....

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, John Wager <johnwager@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 13 Jan 2006 17:14:26 -0330

John --

I accept your question as a sincere one. But I'm not really clear on the issue
here. It would help if you could explain what you mean by the following:

> I decided the first thing I should do is try to teach the value of
> philosophical CONCEPTS, before puting them into an argument.  "Arete"
> ("virtue") is something that one should understand even before
> evaluating how successful Aristotle is in making an argument about this
> concept.

How can you teach A's conception of "virtue" without examining the arguments and
claims he presents about it? A. develops an entire theory of the nature and
conditions of virtue. (Nothing to do with MORAL virtue, of course, in the
modern sense of "moral." That is its fundamental defect.)

Cheers, Walter O.
Memorial U