[lit-ideas] Re: Hemingway's quarrel with Gertrude Stein

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 22 Oct 2006 13:31:39 EDT

<<googlary>>
Nice neologism!  I  embrace it wholeheartedly.
Julie Krueger
trying to catch up

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Hemingway's
quarrel with Gertrude Stein  Date: 9/29/2006 1:33:19 A.M. Central Standard Time

From: _rpaul@xxxxxxxxx (mailto:rpaul@xxxxxxxx)   To: _lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx
Lawrence wrote:

> In regard to  Hemingway's boxing, he seemed to enjoy it even if he lost.  He
>  wasn't a coward but he obviously felt that twinge of fear when in
dangerous
> situations and he made the mistake of describing it to  Stein.  One isn't
> courageous because he never feels fear but  because he overcomes fear.  As
> who was the better writer, I  think history has come down on the side of
> Hemingway -- although I have  never been fond of his writing.  I used to
have
> most of Hemingway's  writings but don't now.  Reading Meyers tempts me to
> reacquire some  of them, but only mildly.  I was curious about A Movable
> Feast  which I don't recall reading.  I may get that eventually.

Movable  Feast isn't a bad book, or so I remember. I wonder where  Hemingway's
fascination with boxing came from--? His writing about it is much  deeper and
far less stylized than his writing about bull fighting. The  opening
sentence of
The Sun Also Rises, is 'Robert Cohen was once  middleweight boxing champion of
Princeton.' The Killers, My Old Man, and  Fifty Grand are about boxing (those
are the ones I can list without going to  the googlary). Fifty Grand is a
wonderful story. Despite the sham and  pretense he wore like a pair of surplus
fatigues, he could write circles  around Gertrude, who could barely write.

Robert Paul
Professor of  Trends and Wonders
Mutton  College