[lit-ideas] Re: Help with fete, please

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 13 Jun 2006 09:18:41 -0700

I'm trying to sketch out the origins of the English village fete. Obviously the French feast or saint's day celebration is in there somewhere, but how did this particular form of festival with Tombola and coconut shies and the white elephant stall come to be. And when? Many English people assume that village fetes are ancient celebrations, but I'm wondering if they are Victorian.

While I was looking for stuff, I ran across this website:

http://www.historicgames.com/glossary.html

Try looking up Being Shown the Blue Goldfish, Farbie Dolls, Hey Nonnie Nonnies, Sword Blessing

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon