[lit-ideas] Re: Health insurance -- Judy, Erin?

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 11 Feb 2006 17:39:36 EST

I'm starting to wonder if we count as a third world country.

Julie Krueger

========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Health insurance
-- Judy, Erin?  Date: 2/11/06 3:35:33 P.M. Central Standard Time  From:
_judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx (mailto:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx)   Sent on:
The Tracy Pierce case (omitting waiting list  delays
here, which are in England, now, brief)

every treatment his  doctors
> sought for him was denied
> by  his insurance  provider. First-Health Coventry
> deemed the treatments were
>  either  not a medical necessity or experimental.

Some cancer  treatments are not licensed for use under
the NHS.  They may nonetheless  be provided under the
NHS if the patients's local health trust provides  them
to all patients -- regardless of the license -- or
agrees to do it in  a specific case.

If he had private insurance what was covered and  for
how long would depend on his policy and the  insurance
company.

I know of no case of the NHS refusing all  treatments.

> Even as he was dying, for more than a week, his
>  insurance company denied him
> oral morphine, which had been  prescribed to reduce
> his pain.

The NHS would provide that  here

*****
> Doctors wrote to Nathan's insurance company,  urging
> it to send him to the
> nation's foremost research  hospital.

On the NHS, this would depend on whether the local
health  board was prepared to fund the treatment at
that hospital; under private  insurance, ditto.

Judy Evans,  Cardiff

Yahoo!  Photos â NEW, now offering a quality print service from just 8p a
photo  http://uk.photos.yahoo.com