[lit-ideas] Re: Harassment in schools

  • From: "Torgeir Fjeld" <torgfje2@xxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 19 Apr 2004 02:40:13 +0100

On 18 Apr 2004 at 20:05, BOROWIK  LUCIENE wrote:

> > If memory serves right, there's a strong correlation between abusive
> behaviour in school children (ie. harassment of school mates) and a
> > history of being abused themselves.
>
> There is correlation between being abused at school and home as well.
Should
> we always try to justify or explain abusive behavior with the remark
> *someone abused him or her first*? The roots of violence may be beyond
> primal and random defensive reactions.

Luciene,

I think the answer is no. But is your question relevant? Surely it must
be possible to try to EXPLAIN something without being accused of
JUSTIFYING it, no? Btw, I'm going to court in a few days to testify
against one such subject, so I think you got me just a tiny bit wrong
there.

In either case, I'm not sure punishment (as in prisons, beatings, etc) is
the best means of dealing with abusive children, though.

Your last sentence is beyond me. Could you explain, please?

Later,

-tor

--
Torgeir Fjeld