[lit-ideas] Re: Grammar question

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Sep 2011 16:41:46 -0700

Paul Stone wrote

. Just a small note on this, as I think Mike inadvertently (or probably purposefully, knowing him a little bit) displayed in his little ditty, the rule I use is if I am saying "some time", then I split it, but if there's an 's' on the end, it's sometimes. I don't think I've EVER written or said "sometime" without and 's' on it. It would be like writing "somebeer" or "somegeese". But sometimes, you need to put that 's' on two collective words that already imply multiplicity/plurality just to create a word that is necessary. Replace "sometime" at the beginning of that last sentence, and it just sounds wrong!

True, it does. But if you say, 'We should have lunch sometimes,' it sounds (and is) wrong. In your penultimate sentence, 'sometimes' = 'occasionally.' Sometimes, I wish I'd studied mathematics. I did spend some time on it in high school; sometimes I think I might still take it up---sometime.

Sometimes I live in the country/sometimes I live in the town/sometimes I take a great notion...

Robert Paul